Bath is a beautiful city in Somerset, known for and named after its Roman-built baths. We’ve visited a few times for its rich history, stunning buildings and great food. It’s the perfect weekend break and we returned with our cocker spaniel Bonnie to test just how dog-friendly it really is.
The beauty of having an Instagram account with lots of friendly, helpful people following me, is that we asked for everyone’s best recommendations and shaped our trip around it. You can watch our full staycation in our vlog below, but here’s everything we did, along with the other recommendations from locals and fellow travellers.
- Alexandra Park
- Skyline Walk
- Prior Park
- Royal Crescent, The Circus & Victoria Park
- Two Tunnels
- Hall & Woodhouse
- The Boathouse
- Boston Tea Party Alfred
- Graze (Steak)
- Dexter’s Cafe (near the canal for great sausage rolls)
- Cafe Au Lait
- The Bath Townhouse – Coppa Club
- The Architect
- The George Inn
- Good Day Cafe (dog menu/take photos of your dog)
- The Huntsman (cosy little pub)
- Mrs Potts Chocolate House
- The Hive Bar & Kitchen (Sunday Roast)
- Marlborough Tavern (Sunday Roast)
- Hare & Hounds (Sunday Roast)
Things To Do
- Toppings Book Shop or Persephone Books
- The Little Theatre Cinema (dog-friendly movies)
Walk the high street – lots of small businesses and high street stores let dogs in! We went to places such as Peleton, Typo and Lululemon.
A Short Drive Away
- Flourish (farm & home shop, a 20-minute drive North)
- Cheddar Gorge & Caves
White Row Farm Shop (20-minute drive South)
Train to Bristol Temple Meads is only 10-12 minutes away
Our personal favourite
- Sally Lunns Buns: Bath’s oldest house (c.1483), home of the famous Sally Lunn Bun (a semi-sweet bread) and tearoom. If you’ve got your dog, grab a takeaway bun from the Museum downstairs, and eat it for breakfast or as an afternoon snack with the cinnamon spread!
We chose to stay in an Airbnb that was dog-friendly, we find it easier than a hotel to have garden space and kitchen facilities. Watch our vlog to see a tour and review of the location! We stayed in this one here.
We were totally surprised with how dog-friendly Bath was! So many restaurant and shop-owners were so kind in allowing us to bring Bonnie in. We loved walking around town, getting coffee and cake, and visiting a few farm shops. Watch our vlog below!